Table of Contents
Subscriptions are not supported with Coinbase at this time. If you intend to sell subscriptions with your FoxyCart store, you will need to make use of another payment gateway. (You can still use Coinbase Commerce and other gateways. Coinbase Commerce just won't be an option for payment if there's a subscription item in the cart.)
Setting Up Coinbase for FoxyCart
- Create an account with Coinbase Commerce.
- In your Coinbase account, go to “Settings” and scroll down to “API keys”. Create an API key and copy/paste it into the API key section in the Foxy admin for Coinbase API key (on the payments page, under Accept payments using your Coinbase V2 account).
- In Coinbase, go to the “Webhook subscriptions” and click “show shared secret”. Copy that out paste it into the Foxy “Webhook Shared Secret” field in the Foxy admin in the same option, Accept payments using your Coinbase V2 account.
- Click “Add an endpoint” in the Coinbase webhook subscriptions settings. The URL should be your Foxy store URL followed by
/ipn. So if your store domain is
example.foxycart.com, you'd enter
https://example.foxycart.com/ipn. If you're using a custom domain like
secure.example.com, it'd be
- Save that webhook subscription in Coinbase. Save your Foxy payment settings.
- You may test the gateway setup by completing a transaction.
Obtaining a Test Account
Coinbase currently do not provide test accounts. This means that even if your gateway settings in your store's FoxyCart administration may be set to Test Servers, any transactions placed with Coinbase would be legitimate transactions with real Bitcoin.
In order to test a transaction with Coinbase, you could create a custom $1 product for your store, and complete the transaction with Coinbase to confirm everything is working as expected.
Troubleshooting & Interpreting Response Codes
Contact Coinbase for info. Know more? Feel free to edit this page with info.
If you do not configure your Merchants/Profile in Coinbase, you will not be able to complete a FoxyCart purchase. You, or your enduser/customer, will see an error code instructing you to set up your merchant profile.
Important Notes and Caveats
Possible Action: Datafeed Handling
At the time of the customer completing the transaction - we don't necessarily know whether the transaction was completed yet or not. We instead rely on a notification from the gateway after the checkout has been completed to confirm whether the transaction was approved or not. To handle this, transactions are initially marked as pending, and when we get a confirmation from the gateway on the result of the transaction, we update it accordingly. Each time the status changes, a datafeed will be sent to your endpoint if configured with the transaction details and the
status node will be present.
status node can contain one of three different values:
rejected. Depending on the types of actions you're needing to perform at your datafeed endpoint, you need to make sure the appropriate status value is present first.
Coinbase has multiple settings and features you should explore, such as minimum and maximum amounts, and thresholds for how exchange rate fluctuations should or shouldn't be accepted. Since cryptocurrency is very, very unlike credit cards, please familiarize yourself with your Coinbase Commerce account before you go live.
User Notes and Experiences
If you have tips, experience, or helpful notes related to this gateway that would benefit others, please add them below, including your name and the date. We reserve the right to edit or remove comments that don't add value to this page.