Table of Contents
- AU, CA, GB, JP, US
Setting Up Square for Foxy
- Create your account here.
- Go to the Payment Settings page in the Foxy administration.
- Go to the Accept payments using your Square account option and check the box.
- Click the Connect to Square button.
- Sign into your Square account. Allow the app access to the Square account.
- Once returned to the Foxy admin with Square successfully connected:
- Check the show credit card form box,
- Select the Payment location (these are the locations as you have them configured in your Square account)
- Save the updated payment settings
If you're already using an integration that shows a credit card input on the checkout, you'll need to disable that in order to show the Square credit card input.
Please note that when using the Square option, you won't be able to have a gateway enabled under the Let Customers Pay with a Credit or Debit Card option, since the Square option shows a credit card form within the checkout already, and only one is allowed on the checkout at a time.
Customer Deduplication & Privacy Considerations
Per Square’s direction, we have added Square's customer deduplication functionality for guest customers as well as non-guest customers. This is generally a helpful thing, as you can use your customer records in Square for a variety of things; and if a customer checks out multiple times in Foxy as a guest, they'll only show up once in Square.
Although Foxy doesn't create customers in Square if they don't already exist - if a matching customer is found, then that Square customer ID will be used for the transaction.
It's important to understand, however, that there's no email verification or other authentication for guest checkouts in Foxy. Though very, very unlikely to be an issue, we do want to make it clear that just because two orders in Square may show as being from the same customer, it doesn’t mean the same person necessarily placed both orders. If a customer says “Hey, I just placed an order ID12345, but I need to know what my previous shipping address was on my last order,” be aware of the security considerations. (A good example to keep in mind is somebody in an abusive relationship or being stalked. Verify whom you're talking with before you share personal info.)
This is good advice in general, but because we use existing Square customer records even for guest checkouts on Foxy, and because you may use the Square customer functionality more than Foxy's, it's something we want to point out.
Obtaining a Test Account
Sign up for a Sandbox account here: https://squareup.com/
How to connect sandbox account to Foxy
- Once you've created your account, if you need to, login into SquareUp
- Scroll to Sandbox Test Accounts
- Click on the Launch button for the Sandbox account you want to activate
- Login into the Foxy admin and go to payment.
- Make sure which servers do you want to use? in the gateway screen is set to Test servers
- Go to the Accept payments using your Square account option, check the box, and click the Connect to Square button.
- Once returned to the Foxy admin with Square successfully connected, select the Payment location and save the configuration. If you're already using an integration that shows a credit card input on the checkout, you'll need to disable that in order to show the Square credit card input.
If you see the following error when trying to connect:
You'll want to review the steps just above to make sure that you have a sandbox account with Square and that you've logged into the account and launched the seller test account from the Developer Dashboard in Square.
Test Card Numbers
Generating success states
|Visa||4111 1111 1111 1111||111|
|MasterCard||5105 1051 0510 5100||111|
|Discover||6011 0000 0000 0004||111|
|Diners Club||3000 0000 0000 04||111|
|JCB||3569 9900 1009 5841||111|
|American Express||3400 000000 00009||1111|
|China UnionPay||6222 9888 1234 0000||123|
Generating error states
|Desired error state||Test values|
|Card CVV incorrect||Use 911 as the CVV|
|Card postal code incorrect||Use 99999 as the postal code|
|Card expiration date incorrect||Use 01/40 as the expiration date|
Troubleshooting & Interpreting Response Codes
Contact square for info. Know more? Feel free to edit this page with info.
Important Notes and Caveats
User Notes and Experiences
If you have tips, experience, or helpful notes related to this gateway that would benefit others, please add them below, including your name and the date. We reserve the right to edit or remove comments that don't add value to this page.